Blueberry Streusel Puffs

11:31 PM


I came across a recipe in our local paper that I had to try.   The writer Kate Lawson found this recipe in a cookbook featuring recipes from residents of Amelia Island Plantation.  The book is called Recipes to Remember, the Best of AIP.  The streusel puffs are lighter than muffins, and I love the little crisp added to each bite because of the crunchy topping.

Here is the recipe as it was shown in The Detroit News.



1/4 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. milk
1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries

In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla.  Stir together flour, baking powder and salt; add flour mixture and milk alternately to creamed mixture.  Fold in blueberries.  Place batter in 12 well-greased or paper lined muffin cups.  Make crumbly topping and sprinkle on puffs.  Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove puffs from pan to cooling rack.

Crumbly Topping:
1/3 c. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. flour
1/8 t. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. cold butter
1/4 c. nuts, finely chopped (looks like she used pecans, I didn't have any so I sprinkled sliced almonds on top - it was delicious)

Mix all together and cut butter into mixture until crumbly.  Divide evenly over puffs.

I have a blueberry lover in the house so I like to try blueberry recipes.  To see a couple more recipes we consider winners click here for Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake & here for Blueberry Coffee Cake.

I looked on the internet to see if I could find the original cookbook the recipe came from, but didn't have any luck.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

Like us on Facebook

Subscribe