Yogurt Poppy Seed Cake With White Chocolate Ganache9:31 AM
If you enjoy coconut macaroons you will really like the taste of this cake.
My mother in law made it years ago, and I think I pretty much ate the entire pan. I finally made it myself this weekend to serve for her birthday dessert.
YOGURT POPPY SEED CAKE WITH WHITE CHOCOLATE FROSTING
From the kitchen of Nick Malgieri
3 large eggs
1 ½ c. sugar
½ c. vegetable oil
1 c. poppy seeds
1 1/3 c. sweetened shredded coconut
1 c. all purpose flour
1 t. baking powder
½ t. salt
1 – 8 oz. container plain low fat (not fat free) yogurt
WHITE CHOCOLATE GANACHE:
½ c. heavy whipping cream
4 T. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
6 oz. white chocolate, cut into ¼ inch pieces
White chocolate shavings
- Butter a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Set oven rack at middle level and preheat to 350 degrees.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until liquid, then whisk in the sugar. Continue whisking for a minute or two until the mixture lightens slightly.
- Whisk in the oil until it is combined.
- In another bowl mix the poppy seeds, coconut, flour, baking powder and salt. Stir half of this mixture into the egg mixture. Stir in the yogurt, and then stir in the remaining poppy seed mixture.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for about 30 minutes, until cake is well risen, deep golden, and a knife or toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean.
- Cool the cake on a rack for 5 minutes, and then unmold it onto a rack to cool. Peel off the paper and invert the cake on another rack so it cools right side up.
- To make the frosting, bring the cream and the butter to a boil in a saucepan. Remove from heat and add the white chocolate. Let stand 3 minutes, and then whisk smooth. Pour the ganache into a bowl and refrigerate until it thickens to spreading consistency.
- When the ganache is ready, place the cake on a platter and spread the ganache evenly over the top of the cake, swirling it into points and peaks. Sprinkle the chocolate shavings over the ganache.
STORAGE: Keep cake loosely covered with plastic wrap at a cool room temperature.