Taco Seasoning Love - Make It Yourself - Make It Sodium Free

10:49 AM


Last year, when I had to start watching my salt intake, I had a worried moment while reading the labels on the taco seasoning packets at the grocery store.   I realized that I could never use the pre-made packages again.  So loaded with sodium.  That led me to an internet search where I found Rachel Ray's recipe for taco seasoning.  I made it minus the salt, and it is delicious!  I would never even think of going back to the store bought seasoning.   I like to make a double or triple batch so it is ready to use when I need it.  I just whipped up a double batch this morning because tonight is going to be taco night.  Taco night is great because the boys can make taco's, and I make taco salad using my power greens.

Rachel Ray's Taco Seasoning


1 T. chili powder
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. onion powder
1/4 t. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 t. dried oregano
1/2 t. paprika
1.5 t. ground cumin
1 t. black pepper
1/2 to 1 t. sea salt (more or less to taste) - I just omit this

In a small bowl, mix all ingredients and store in airtight container.  I mix it right in my storage container.

Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of this mixture plus 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water to 1 pound of cooked meat.  simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently until there is very little liquid left in pan.






You Might Also Like

1 comments

Like us on Facebook

Subscribe