White Cheddar Grilled Cheese with Raspberry Balsamic Mushrooms

1:51 PM


Hello again.

You might have noticed I took a long break from blogging and Instagram.  I'm not sure what this blog will look like in this coming year.   I've been working on some new things so I guess we will just have to see over time what my next step will be.  And I know I need to share the final kitchen photo's.  I've taken them all - I just need to sort through and edit.

For now I thought I'd share a unique grilled cheese sandwich I like to make.

I used a rosemary bread for this particular one - but really just buy your favorite flavor of bread from the bakery section of the supermarket.  Next step - only use a very light layer of butter on the one side of each piece of bread.  Like very light.  A little is better that a lot - I actually use Smart Balance Original.  Once again just use what you like - just don't saturate your bread :)


Next up - the mushrooms.  I like to sauté cut up mushrooms in a little Smart Balance - then I add a little sea salt and some raspberry balsamic vinegar.  Just eye all of the ingredients based on the amount of mushrooms you are cooking.

When the mushrooms are ready you can start layering sandwiches.   I use Vermont white cheddar in this recipe.  Lay one piece of bread butter side down - add a layer of cheese - top with some mushrooms (not in a bunch of cooking sauce) - and then break apart a few more small pieces of cheese.  Layer the little pieces on top of the mushrooms.  They will just help to glue the sandwich together.  Top with the last piece of bread butter side up and you are ready to cook.  You can use a griddle pan or a frying pan.  I like to use a medium low heat and I cook away until the bread gets that crispy browned color.



The last tip I have is stand your sandwich for a minute when you are finished cooking it so that the underside does not get soggy.  Then cut it, but still layer it in such a way on your plate that it is not sitting flat.  There is nothing sadder to me in sandwich land than soggy grilled bread.  Also, don't cut your cheese too thick.  

Funny thing is my sister and I ate in Royal Oak where Oprah had named their grilled cheese the best. My sister thought they had nothing on my grilled cheese sandwiches, and she is pretty picky.

Overall though I really think the secret is the crusty grilled bread.  It is worth it to take your time and not get impatient while cooking.  You can even flip your sandwich a couple times til you get the grilling just right.

Hope you try this mix of ingredients.  I think you just might love it!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

Like us on Facebook

Subscribe