Spicy Black Bean Soup

7:16 PM


This soup is so delicious!  I make it often, and sometimes even when I'm not making it I want to make it :)  I think it tastes best on the spicier side.  I like to add sour cream to cool it off a bit - other good additions are green onion, shredded cheese, bacon, Fritos, and this time I make it I cooked up some shrimp with butter, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder.  Simple and delicious and the flavor really went well with the soup.

Black Bean Soup

2 T. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, chopped

2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (2 gives it a kick - for less spice start with one)
1 T. adobo sauce

4 - 15 oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
I use Eden Organics - just a tip - their beans are easier to digest because they are pressure cooked

4 oz. can diced green chili's
4 c. vegetable broth - I use low sodium Whole Foods 365

1 T. chili powder
1 1/2 T. cumin
salt and pepper to taste

juice of 1 lime
zest of 1 lime

In a small food processor blend together the chipotle peppers with the adobo sauce plus a splash of vegetable broth.

Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat.  Saute onion until translucent.  Add garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.  Then add beans, green chili's, broth, spices, and the adobo pepper mixture.  Simmer 20 minutes.

The next thing I do I get out my immersion blender and blend down the beans until the soup is a creamier consistency.

Right before you are ready to serve add the lime juice and zest - and season with salt and pepper as desired.






You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Subscribe