My Elementary School & Wear The Dresses With the Sneakers :) - & Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars Recipe - Randomness Today

4:44 PM



My post became too long - so dresses with sneakers ideas on Monday.

On one of my recent Noah visits we walked into town for dinner and then decided for dessert we should walk to the ice cream store.  On our way I took him by my elementary school.  It has been abandoned for years, but some of the playground equipment I spent hour upon hour on were still standing.  There were still the swings which if that was the thing of the moment we would run full speed to after eating - and there were my favorite - the monkey bars!  We liked to sit on the top and secure our feet and then sing the Coca-Cola Went To Town Rhyme (Coca-Cola went to town, Orange Crush knocked him down, Dr. Pepper picked him up, now were drinking 7-UP - that was our version) and hang upside down by our feet and then pull ourselves back up to sitting on top of the bars all recess long.  We were in our own fun bootcamp and didn't even know it  😂😂😂  The kickball field, the sledding hill, the place where we played dodgeball and tether ball - because back then it was no problem to chuck a ball full speed at your friends!  We played marbles and had the best Field Day's complete with brightly colored ribbons.  That school is still one of my favorite places ever.  Other than cold Winters and it being a time before the invention of Polar fleece all was good.  

Our gym was 2 stories high and they allowed us to climb a thick rope all the way to the rafters.  It was a really old building with a grand staircase - back staircases, and secret rooms lined in wood with built in shelves and desks.  Even being that young I had a thing for buildings and houses.  I'm not sure if Noah enjoyed our playground visit as much as I did.  As we were leaving the upper playground I turned to take another look & had him take a quick picture.  It's for sale, but you never know if it will remain standing or be torn down.  They were going to develop it into apartments and more, but it didn't happen.  I think it would have been amazing!!!  

Our school lunches had the best pizza burgers (it was kinda like a french bread pizza), mixed peanuts and raisins in a cup (the salt from the peanuts on the raisins was so good), and anytime Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars were on the menu I'd order hot lunch no matter what they were serving.  Those were my 3 favorites.  Other than that I'd tote my lunch in my metal or Tupperware lunchbox.  I truly had a great childhood.  After school was always filled with more activity.  Jumprope, Biking, climbing trees, sledding, skating, boating, swimming, strap on your shoes roller skates.  Those really were good days!  


(recipe link above)

I wish you could really experience the building in real life.  Here are some pictures of it now.  It was purchased for $44,000 at auction in 2014 and it is for sale now for 1.2 million - Seriously!!! 



The main entrance was the arched door to the right.  The gym was through the arched door on the left and went floor to top - the top where the windows are had balcony seating.



See the door that leads into the building from the blacktop lot?  Those were the walls of dodgeball.  The big hill used to have a giant metal slide.  It was an exciting day when it was installed.  Everyone in the entire school lined up for extra time outside and one by one we got to go down.  Local newspaper was there and took pictures.


So much fun!  My reading class was also on a local morning TV show - it was called Ask A Silly Question.  I think I wore a light purple velour shirt and a purple heart barrette in my hair.  I still have the barrette.  I really should go and find my photo's from that day.  So much fun in that school!  

This was going to be a post about easy to wear dresses, and some sneaker options to go with them.  I will post that on Monday instead.  My week really got away from me and so did this story.

Thank you for reading, and really try the peanut butter bars.  Still love them after all this time!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Subscribe